Luigi Boille, born in Pordenone in 1926, graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Rome in ’49.
The following year he graduated in architecture, and soon after he moved to Paris, where he settled.
Already in ’53 his painting reveals a mature and original assimilation of the Informal, and this brings him closer to the group of the Jeune École de Paris, with whom he exhibits in numerous group exhibitions, including Das Junge Franckreich, Europäisches Forum Alpach, Austria 1955; Phasen, Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, 1957; New Trends in Italian Art, curated by Lionello Venturi, Rome / New York Art Foundation, Rome 1958.
He meets the great French critic Michel Tapié, who inserts him in his research on “Art autre” and captures “baroque elements” in his painting, even if in Boille’s work the dynamism and “irrationalism” attributable to the Baroque will always be balanced from a “classic” sense of measure and formal rigor.
Among the exhibitions curated by Tapié in which Boille participates, Osaka and Tokyo International Festival, 1958; Arte Nuova, Circle of Artists, Palazzo Granieri, Turin; Structures and Style, Civic Gallery of Modern Art, Turin 1962.
In 1964 Luigi Boille represented Italy together with Capogrossi, Castellani and Fontana at the Guggenheim International Award in New York.
In 1965, having returned temporarily to Italy, he took part in the Quadriennale in Rome, and the following year he was invited to the XXXIII Venice Biennale (where he will return in 2011, in the LIV edition).
For fifteen years he was in contractual relations with the Stadler Gallery in Paris (one of the most important in the world), where he held various exhibitions. Also important is the relationship with the historic Galleria del Naviglio in Milan and with its historic founder and owner, Carlo Cardazzo.
In 1969 he returned to permanently reside in Rome, where he lived and worked until his death on April 20, 2015.