At nineteen he participated in the Great War as a field artillery officer. Returning to Siena in 1920 he graduated in law and began working at the lawyer’s office in Colle Val d’Elsa. His first attempts at painting and engraving are from these years. In 1922 he took part in the “march on Rome”. In 1924 he was called by Angiolo Bencini to take care of the printing of “Il Selvaggio”, where his first engravings appear; in 1926 he abandoned the legal profession and took over the management until 1942. In 1925 the editorial staff of the “Selvaggio” moved to Florence and included Ardengo Soffici, Ottone Rosai and Achille Lega among his collaborators. In 1927 Maccari took part in the II International Exhibition of Modern Engraving and in the III Exhibition of the Tuscan Art of Design Syndicate. The following year he is present at the XVI Venice Biennale. In 1929 “Il Selvaggio” moved to Siena and Maccari exhibited drypoint at the II Mostra del Novecento Italiano in Milan. At the beginning of the thirties he was chief editor of the “Stampa” of Turin, alongside the director Malaparte. In 1931 he participated in the 1st Rome Quadrennial (where he will still be in 1951 and 1955). In 1932 “Il Selvaggio” moved to Rome. In 1938 he was invited to the XXI Venice Biennale with a personal room, collaborated with Longanesi’s “Omnibus” and held a personal exhibition at the Arcobaleno in Venice. In 1943 he exhibited in a solo show at Palazzo Massimo in Rome and at the Dux Exhibition at Cinquale di Montignoso. In 1948 he is again at the Venice Biennale where he is awarded the international prize for engraving (there will also be in 1950, 1952, 1960, 1962). At the end of the 1940s he began his collaboration with the liberal magazine “Il Mondo”, directed by Pannunzio, which ended in 1963. In 1955 he was at the San Paolo Biennale (Brazil). In 1962 he was entrusted with the presidency of the Academy of San Luca. Then in 1963 he held a personal exhibition in New York at Gallery 63 and in 1967 he participated in the “Exhibition of Modern Art in Italy 1915-1935”, held in Florence at Palazzo Strozzi. This is followed by a series of personal exhibitions and international exhibitions of graphics, including that of 1977 in Siena, where a personal exhibition is dedicated to him at Palazzo Pubblico. He died in 1989 in Rome.